Proper care of the trees around your property includes watching for signs of infestations that can threaten their health.
If you notice abnormalities, such as damaged leaves or bark, it may be time for tree disease mitigation and insect Pest Control offered by our Hagerstown treatment program technicians.
Assessing Your Tree’s Health
- The first step of tree disease mitigation on your Hagerstown property is to assess the tree characteristics. Are the leaves intact and of a healthy color? Are the curling in some parts of the tree but not others? Are they of normal size or stunted in growth?
- Are there any abnormalities in the tree’s leaves or bark? Any missing spots, peeling areas, or ‘chewed up’ foliage?
- How is the health of trees and plants in the area? If there are issues, are they related to just one species, or to all plants nearby? This can give you clues about whether the issues are plant-specific or if they are affecting everything in the area.
- Are the roots a healthy color, or light brown (indicating too much dryness) or black (indicating too much water)?
- Are there wounds on the trunk? If so, are the causes unseen or obvious, such as from mowers or trimmers?
- Are there environmental concerns that are causing damage, such as insufficient water, light or nutrients? Too little, or even too much of each of these can have a negative impact, and alleviating this imbalance as quickly as possible may be needed to save your tree.
There are three primary types of insect behavior that can wreak havoc on your trees.
Chewing – these insects eat portions of the tree, leaving it damaged and vulnerable to disease. Typically you’ll see leaf notching, or missing parts of the leaf, when these are present.
Sucking– the insect’s beak (proboscis) is inserted into the leaves, twigs, branches, flowers or fruit, then feed on the plant. This produces discoloration, drooping, wilting, leaf spots or stippling, and more.
Boring – these insects feed somewhere beneath the bark of the tree where they are not easily seen. They live, breed and hatch in the tree.
If your examination has revealed issues, it may be time to call in the tree experts at Antietam Tree & Turf! Our Hagerstown based insect pest control technicians can help you to assess if a disease or pathogen is affecting your valuable tree, such as fungi, viruses, or bacteria, if the issue is environmental (water, pollutants, or soil contaminants), or if insects are involved.
Once we’ve identified the cause of the issue, Antietam’s insect pest control technicians located in the Hagerstown area can create a treatment plan to bring your tree back to health. Don’t risk losing a valuable part of your landscape… give us a call today!
We provide treatment for:
- … and more!
Antietam Tree and Turf have the knowledge and professional skills to care for your trees, safely and effectively. Contact our Hagerstown Tree Disease Mitigation team and let’s maintain the health of your valuable trees!
Clients Rave about Antietam Tree & Turf
All in all it was a pleasant experience and one that ensured that I will contact your firm with any tree and turf-related needs that I may have in the future.